Wednesday, March 10, 2010

How Long Should Snow Last?

Incredibly, I still have a four foot square pile of snow on my rear deck, from our blizzard over a month ago! I just went out to check on it. The temperature got up to 68∘today, and will get up to 71∘tomorrow! I suspect the cursed pile will finally be history by tomorrow evening.

I have never been so happy to see winter make an exit! This has to be the worst winter of my life. It started out with the tragic, but expected death of my sister in late October, after a long battle with metastasized lung cancer . The next month however was surprisingly pleasant, lulling me into a false sense of serenity, but by mid December the first major snow storm struck, leaving us with 13" of snow. From past experiences, heavy early snows like that, have always been a harbinger of bad things to come, and come it did, in the form of several more blizzards! Blame it all on the cursed phenomenon of El Nino', but whenever we get heavy early snows, we are in for a rotten winter, and a rotten winter it was! Deep long lasting snows, lots of slippery roads causing plenty of automobile accidents, lots of downed trees, downed power lines, cold nights without power, and lots of lonely depressed days, where there was nothing to do but sit in the house snowbound, and wait for better times to come. With nothing to do but sit around and brood, I must have put on 10 -15 pounds this winter, and I hate it! I feel like a behemoth, and have redoubled my efforts on the bike in an attempt to shed unwanted pounds. It's so easy to put it on and so hard to take it off!

It was sunny and warm today , so I got out and went to the dump. I had accumulated so much trash over the last couple of miserable months that I was able to completely fill the bed of my truck with bagged trash. I went in boy mode this time, because I was too ashamed to show my face as Melissa at my current weight. I did go to my monthly support group meeting last Friday, but only because I had a tunic that hid my midriff bulge. If I never see another winter again, it won't be too soon! And to think I used to love winter, but that was before I retired, and had to live in boy mode every day!

Still groovin' on my new Dvořák collection! Antonín Dvořák has to be one of my favorite all time composers. If you love great music, check out Dvořák the Symphonies at amazon.com

Spring is on its way, and all is good! Best spring wishes to all who read this blog, whether it be your upcoming celebration of Easter, or simply the Vernal Equinox!

Melissa XX

9 comments:

Caroline said...

Much of our summer is not much better than that! Cool breeze comes in off the sea each evening to stop it getting too warm.
Now I am jealous, cutting up your trees will soon wear off a few pounds just take care.

Caroline xxx

Lucy Melford said...

You're not the only one to put on a few pounds over winter!!

I'm looking to clearing out my garage and plenty of gardening to help. But not today - it's still too damned cold outside.

Lucy

Stace said...

In answer to your first question - not this long! The weather was just getting nice, cold but no snow, and I was planning to order my summer tyres to be put on the car on Monday.

Then I drove to work in heavy snow and thought I had better wait a while...

Stace

Keri Renault said...

I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your sister, Melissa. That itself would make winter extra difficult. El Nino and Snow-Maggedon I& II? Intolerable.

Sounds like you're getting a smart head start on spring cleanup...and your waistline. That's a very cool 2 for 1:)

The past few days have been exceptional for your neighbors to the north. We haven't crossed 70 degrees yet, but 60 feels like a little bit of heaven on Earth.

All the best, Keri

Melissa said...

@ Keri

Thank you so much for your condolences, Keri. I blogged fairly extensively about it at the time. It was a tough time. She was my twin.

Remember to spring your clocks ahead this weekend! Spring will be hear before you know it! The cherry blossoms should be blooming in DC soon. You are so lucky to live close to there. I have great memories of living in Alexandria as an 18 and 19 year old, and running round in Georgetown on the weekends!

Melissa XX

Keri Renault said...

Georgetown AND the Cherry Blossom are two of our absolute highlights since moving to Maryland. Love G-Town. Enchanted by the Cherry Blossoms around the Tidal Basin. Nothing like it as you well know.

I had to chuckle about your friendly reminder regarding the return of Spring this weekend. The last line of my latest blog was a reference to exactly that. Subtle, I suppose, but that's what makes blogging fun:)

Again, I'm so sorry for the loss of your twin, Melissa. It truly breaks my heart. Love and all the best dear amiga, K

Anonymous said...

I was driving in the Debyshire dales the other day and saw snow in some of the fields at the higher points.
Its a while since it snowed now as well.
It is surprising how long it does take to completely melt away.
x

Melissa said...

@ Lisa

The pile of shoveled snow on my rear deck has finally melted, but there are still a few piles along the side of the road out front. Hard to believe, as it was 73∘yesterday.

Melissa XX

Calie said...

The best thing about east coast winters is the emergence of Spring. I remember that when the crocus popped out of the snow, that warmer days were near.

Hang in there, Melissa. Soon, you will be on your deck in a sundress sipping sun tea.

Calie xxx