Thursday, December 17, 2009

Snow Is On The Way!

Riding the edge of a cold front, this storm centered in the deep south, is projected to move up the east coast tomorrow and Saturday, dumping 8-12" of snow in the Virginia Piedmont. Yikes! This is fairly early for a snow storm of this magnitude here!

Keri, if you and Sunny are reading this, get out your snow boots sweeties! They are predicting 1-2' of snow north of here! Very unusual for the Virginia Maryland area, especially this early, except in El Niño years. And yep! It's an El Niño year!

So, it's into Richmond tomorrow, to stock up on bottled water, non-perishable food items, and a little vino, just in case the power goes out. And while I'm there, I 'm going to have to stop in Best Buy, and get a new Logitec Trackball Mouse. The one I have now has become recalcitrant, and requires a sound thrashing every five minutes to keep it working!

Since I live in an all electric home, with a well for a water supply, I will have to fill at least one of my bathtubs with water, to wash and flush toilets with, in case the power goes out and my well pump stops working. I have two kerosene heaters, and ten gallons of kerosene to keep the house warm just in case, and a Coleman propane stove to cook on, if necessary. Hopefully it won't come to that, but history tells me it's possible. If you don't hear from me for a few days, it will because I have reverted back to pioneer mode.

I love to watch the snow, especially when it first starts coming down. As everything turns white, it gets so quiet and peaceful. There is also a prediction of another wintry weather event next week, so we have a great chance at having a white Christmas this year!

And speaking of Christmas, I got a lovely Christmas card today, from a sweet little lady up in Michigan, complete with a beautiful picture of her and her family! Thank you so much, Amy! You are all just beautiful!

Melissa XX

8 comments:

Unknown said...

lol, Of course it is going to snow. I have another Christmas party to go to! They are saying possibly 1-3" in Virginia Beach, if so it would be a little more here. But in my neck of the woods I will believe it when I see it. Being so close to the coast means that just a small shift in the weather pattern will cause a change from snow to rain. This storm may push us into the 5th wettest year on record, we are only a quarter inch away.

Leslie Ann said...

We're being threatened with an inch here in Lexington. I'll be happy just to watch the snow falling. It never fails to brighten my mood. It's the best evidence I have of an inner child.

Caroline said...

We have snow in Scotland, it came last night. Stocked up and took friends old mother to do same yesterday since he is snowbound in the highlands. I remember trying to walk on Virginia beach but the sand was too hot!

We remember the Donner Party! Good luck Melissa.

Caroline XXX

Keri Renault said...

Melissa, I'm sorry to say, but I think we brought the snow with us from the Frozen Tundra of Wisconsin!

Yesterday's forecast was for 1-3". Weren't Sunny and I aghast to see it was revised to more than 1'! I'll be stocking up groceries this morning, we have shovels and salt on hand. Oh, yes, and booties on standby at the front door.

Thankfully, the storm hits on a Saturday and not a workday. Enjoy the snowflakes if you can:)

Anonymous said...

Yes its getting colder here too, Snow has effected large areas of the UK. That said nothing in Leciestershire and in fact I had to go to Leeds today and the roads were empty.
I am hoping for a white Christmas.
x

Calie said...

Be careful, Melissa. I remember those East Coast storms. I sure remember filling up the bathtubs...all of them. I read all of the right words, except food. I hope you are well stocked.

Calie xxx

Melissa said...

@ Sophie

Even the tidewater area may take a significant hit from this storm. If you do out, be careful sweetie!

@ Leslie

Even an inch is enough to make a small snowman!

@ Caroline

You are so good to your friends! They are lucky to have you!

Beach sand on a sunny summer's day, will burn all but the most calloused feet. Best to wear sandals, especially now that you have license to wear some pretty ones, and show off those cute polished toes!

I remember the Donner Party too! Hopefully I have enough food stockpiled, that I don't have to resort to eating my neighbors. ;-)

@ Keri

Coming from Wisconsin, you should be used to heavy snow. Just be careful, if you have to drive. People in Maryland and Virginia don't get enough snowy winters, to learn how to drive properly in the snow. There are usually wrecks galore!

@ Lisa

I hope you and your family have a white Christmas too sweetie, and a very happy one at that!

Take care everyone!
Melissa XX

Amy K. said...

You're very welcome, Melissa! I hope the storm didn't hit you too hard. I love kerosene lanterns and heaters, but it's better off if you didn't have to use them. :)