Friday, June 26, 2009

How Times Have Changed.

I was still 17 when I graduated from high school in Germany. Dad was a retired Army officer, still working for the Department of the Army, as a civilian. I spent my Junior and senior years, at an American high school for military and State Department dependents. In the summer between my junior and senior years, I worked in the first Dairy Queen, ever established in Germany. The owners were two guys from Minnesota. They specifically requested kids from the local American high school to come and work for them, to give the place a more authentic American presence. Well....as authentic as a Dairy Queen that sells beer, can be. ;)

Yes, beer! At the time, you would be hard pressed to find a restaurant in Germany, that did not sell beer. In fact, the local brewery even help set the two Minnesotans up in business, if they would agree to sell their beer. Now, take a bunch of American teenagers, working at night in a place that sold hamburgers, soft serve ice cream, and beer, and imagine what you would get. In a flourish of creativity one night, I created, at least what I thought, was the world's first beer float! Needless to say, it was pretty disgusting.

As I walked to that job each day, I remember passing a beauty salon, and thinking how wonderful it would be, to just be able to walk in and get a shampoo and set and manicure . Of course it was only fantasy at the time. Little did I know, that within a couple of years back in the States, I would be doing just that. I was always fascinated by those bastions of femaleness, and one day while living back in northern Virginia, I succumbed to my long held desires, and walked into a local beauty shop. I was in boy mode, still to freightened to dress up. I even had a boy haircut, albeit a modishly long Beatle cut. (Yes dammit, I'm that old!;)) I was so afraid when I pushed that door open, and was instantly overwhelmed by the buzz of female convertion, and the smell of hair spray. I thought for sure they would all think I was some kind of a weirdo, but instead the owner was just as kind as she could be, and wlecomed me with open arms. She shampooed my hair, set it in rollers, then put me under a dryer for about a half an hour, before combing out my set. Nothing elaborate, just a more poufy version of what I already had, but it still gave me the chance to to experience the joy of a toatally female enviroment. It also gave me the courage to go back. No, not right away to that particuar salon, but later on, to many others, eventually gaining the courage to go full femme. Turns out the women in all of those salons were my angels. They were all so accepting, so encouraging, and non-judgemental, compared to everyone else I knew. God love them!

4 comments:

Leslie Ann said...

I've never done anything female in a salon, but for many years I got my boy haircuts in them. Scary at first, I learned to love the smell, the beauty, the whole estrogen buzz about the place. They've priced themselves out of my budget now, and I miss that little jolt I'd get entering it.

Anonymous said...

My mother was a beautician and I have entered shops many, many times...but never for anything more than to say hi to her or beg for some spending money...lol. In fact, I usually could not stand the smell in a beauty shop. The smell of perm liquids made me want to puke. I guess it's sulfur or something.

That said, I have ordered a custom made, human hair wig and I may take advantage of a salon sometime in the future...we'll see...lol.

Stephanie said...

"How times have changed"- I was thinking that just recently when I saw a commercial for an electric trimmer that was made exclusively for trimming a womans ...ahem ...privates.

If you'll look back in my blogs,(the end of March) I wrote about my hair extension fiasco. In and out in two days, bye, bye $500! That was my second trip to the beauty shop. The first one was in 1973, when my soon-to-be wife and I got the same hairdo.

Anonymous said...

The nice thing about my new hair do and it is wig, is that I am actually able to wash and set it as I would regular hair. I guess I am old school. Wearing curlers to bed or wearing them out even when I can isn't a big deal to me. It's all part of the process.