Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ahhh! The Joys Of Living In The Wilderness

It's pretty and peaceful out here in the Piedmont. None of the hustle and bustle of the fast life back in town. But it requires a sense of independence that many city dwellers are unaccustomed to. There are so many things that you just take for granted when you live in a city, like uninterrupted gas for your kitchen stove, furnace, water heater, and even your fireplace if you have gas logs. You are also hooked up to a municipal water supply, that remains constant, unless a catastrophic flood takes out the water purification plant.

On Monday evening, I went to my mother's in Richmond, for supper as usual. Before I went, I took a shower. Upon my return, I wanted to wash my hands and face, so I went into the bathroom and turned on the tap. Nothing! Just a sickening gurgling sound. My first reaction was, WTF? I have been living here for nearly 18 years, and the only time I ever lost water was when the power went out, but this time the power was on, and I had just taken a shower five hours earlier. I went straight to the circuit breaker panel to see if my well pump had tripped the breaker, but it hadn't.

Flowing water is such a basic necessity of modern life. You need it to wash your body, your clothes, your dishes, and most of all...........to flush your toilets. Suddenly I felt my body being washed in that sickening flood of adrenaline, that happens whenever panic begins to set in. Oh crap! What was I going to do now? What would it cost me to replace a well pump, or pressure tank, or both? Who would I even call, that I could trust to do a decent, honest job? I went to bed that night, with the aid of two Benadryl tablets to help me take my mind off of it all and get to sleep. Otherwise I would have lain in bed all night, agonizing over it.

The next day was spent fruitlessly searching the internet for well and pump contractors in my county. I could find none. Finally I looked up the county Chamber of Commerce, something I should have done in the first place, and asked if they new of any reputable well and pump contractors that servered our county. The woman I spoke to gave me the name of a contrator that recently worked on her well, as well as several others. None were located in our county, but they were in adjacent counties, and served our area as well. I looked up the one that she said did some work for her on the internet, and they were only 25 miles away. I read their reviews and, they seemed to get good reports, so I decided to call them. The trouble was, it was late in the day by then, so I waited until the next morning. Fortunately I had several five gallon jugs of fresh water, for my drinking water dispenser, so I could at least wash my hands and face and brush my teeth.

So, this morning.........well yesterday morning actually, by the look of the clock, I called them right after breakfast. Their secretary took my call and information, and said that she would get back with me shortly, or one of their service teams would call. About 30 minutes later, I got a call from one of their technicians, and he said he would be there within 30-45 minutes! I was surprised! I was sure I would have to wait a day or two, but sure as he said, his truck pulled up in my driveway in about 40 minutes!

Now, I had spent 37 years, working in a large chemical plant, maintenance department, staffed mainly by a large contingent of........well, let's be frank.........rednecks. Many of them were some of the surliest, cocksure, hard to get along with men I have ever known. It's been so nice the last three years, to get away from that type, and I feared having to deal with it again, but these guys were great! I stood and watched them, and talked to them the whole time, and they were nothing, if not very courteous and knowledgeable good workers, and far as I could tell, honest.

It turns out, the pvc pipe connecting my well pump to the main water line, broke at the brass fitting. They said that type of pvc pipe weakens with age, and the constant torque of the pump starting and stopping, eventually broke the pipe off at that junction. The pump was still working, but it and the pressure tank under the house were 21 years old. They were amazed that it lasted that long, and said the average age of a well pump was 8-10 years. Since they had to pull the pump, to replace the old pvc pipe with new blue poly tubing, I told them to go ahead and install a new pump and pressure tank as well, so I wouldn't have to call them back six monts to a year from now. Amazingly, they pulled out 180 feet of pipe, and installed a new pump and pressure tank in just a little over two hours time! So this afternoon and evening was spent, happily doing laundry, and once again giving toilets a well needed flush! Now I await the bill for their services. I'm expecting anywhere between $1,200 to $2,000. I'll let you know what the damage is, when the bill arrives in the mail, but whatever, as the old folks say, "C'est la vie"!

It was a beautiful autumn day to be outside! The temperature was in the low to mid 60's, thanks to a high pressure system stalled out over the eastern part of the US. The sky was azure, (If we were in central Asia, I would say it was, "Azure by John!") and the remaining turning leaves basked in the glory of the late autumn sun! There were so many uncollected leaves on the ground, that the well technicians lost a few electrical butt splice connectors under them. No worry though, since they had a well equipped service truck, filed with whatever they needed. No Jacklegs, these guys. They were true professionals!

On to other things.

I'm a peaceful type, and I tolerate a wide range of opinion, provided it's done in a civil manner. That's why it pained me so much to shut my blog down to someone yesterday. Ironically, for the ultra orthodox transwoman that I blocked, the only other person I have ever done that to before, was a fetishistic transvestite, who had a very kinky, sexually suggestive avatar. While I have nothing but love for all transgender people, wherever they stand on the gender spectrum, my blog is not sexually oriented, nor is it a blog for long running feuds with the transsexual elite. All those however, with open minds, open hearts, who are calm of nature, and possess a relatively good sense of taste (According to my judgement.........well........it is my blog after all!), and a good sense of humor, are perfectly welcome. I have to say that I was touched by all of the comments on my blog in support of me, and especially all of the emails! What lovely, supportive friends we have here, in our own little corner of the blogosphere!

Melissa XX

7 comments:

Halle said...

Yes indeed you did well to get so many years of service from the water system. City folk often comment that it 'must be nice getting your water and sewage for free'. My comment back is that it is definitely not the case, since the sort of thing that happened to your system eventually happens to all; maintenance and replacement. Once they see their own monthly fee as a time payment for maintaining a system, our situation makes a lot more sense.

We have a bit of controversy here because some politicians want to levy a tax on our water and septic systems, since we don't have 'town water'. We really do need to educate politicians better before they are allowed to take office.

Melissa, please take any actions and impose any rule you wish to on your blog. This is your place after all. If I don't like your rules, I don't have to 'touch down' while flying around the blogosphere, do I?

Hugs

Stephanie said...

When we moved to the country 24 years ago, I was looking for a used well pump because at the time it took nearly every penny we had just to get set up here. A friend of mine told me about a man that was changing his pump out and I should go see him about his old one. I went and talked to him, he said he would charge me $50 if I took the old one out of his well. I told him I'd be back the next day. When I got there the pump was already out and he told me to just take it saying he hoped I got some service out of it. It hasn't given me a bit of trouble all these years. It's a Ruth Berry pump and the tag on the side of the tank reads that it was made in 1947!!

Steph...

Melissa said...

@ Halle

What nerve your politicians have, wanting to tax your well and septic systems! Don't you already pay property tax?

Melissa XX

Melissa said...

@ Stephanie

Wow! Your pump is just a year younger than me! Things in those days were really built to last. If you get ten years out of an appliance today, you're lucky. Everything today seems to be built to minimum standards. I'm wondering if I may have made a mistake in pulling my old pump and installing a new one, because the new one is physically only half the size of the 21 year old Sears pump it replaced.

Melissa XX

Halle said...

Absolutely! They seem to have some issues about 'their water table' and how we need to protect and monitor that, so extra funds are needed.

Can you smell a tax grab? sniff, sniff, oh ya!

Calie said...

I'm had the similar well problems, more than onec, Melissa, and it can be very expensive.

One time, with a really bad well problem due to a lightning hit, the service guy suggested buying a washing machine hose, along with a long garden hose, and run it over to a neighbor's house. Living in the country, it was a long run and, fortunately, it was in the summer so no worry of freezing, but it was a cool way to get water back (although it tasted icky). I never would have thought of doing that. Thankfully, we had a good neighbor who didn't mind us using his water.

Calie xxx

Calie said...

I'm had the similar well problems, more than onec, Melissa, and it can be very expensive.

One time, with a really bad well problem due to a lightning hit, the service guy suggested buying a washing machine hose, along with a long garden hose, and run it over to a neighbor's house. Living in the country, it was a long run and, fortunately, it was in the summer so no worry of freezing, but it was a cool way to get water back (although it tasted icky). I never would have thought of doing that. Thankfully, we had a good neighbor who didn't mind us using his water.

Calie xxx