Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Super Fast Computers & Valiant Handmaidens On Flying Horses!

Wow! This Mac Book Pro is a rocket ship, compared to my I-Mac. It's not that the I-Mac is an inferior machine, it's just that my wireless USB modem works so much faster with the Mac Book, than it did with my desk top I-Mac. For years, because I live so far out of town, I was stuck with a super slow dial-up connection, that made web surfing a real pain, and watching videos virtually impossible. When I bought my I-Mac, I asked the salesman if a wireless USB modem would work with it. I knew they worked with laptops, so I assumed they would work with desk top computers as well. He told me that the speed would be significantly limited if I used it on a desk top computer. For a while, I hobbled along on my I-Mac using my old dial up connection, then I decided to give wireless a try. The wireless modem I got said it was capable of speeds up to 1.5 mbps, but when hooked up to my I-Mac, the fastest speed I ever saw was 750 kpbs, and average speeds were only about 150-250 kpbs. Still, much faster than dial up's 26-40 kpbs, so I considered it a great improvement, but it still took 5-10 minutes to download a Youtube video.

When my I-Mac went for a shit last week, I panicked! I've come to rely on having a reliable internet connection, not just for blogging, but for on line banking, paying all of my bills, and shopping. Suddenly I was completely isolated, with no other connection to the outside world, other than my telephone line and cell phone. Something had to be done, and quickly. So I drove into Richmond, and bought a Mac Book Pro at the Apple Store. When I got it home, I hooked it up to my wireless USB modem, and started it up. At first I just did text pages, so I didn't notice much difference, but the next day I went to a message board I frequently go to, and noticed that pictures that used to take 30 seconds or more to load in, appeared instantly. Hmm.......that was fast, I thought. Then yesterday, I downloaded a video, and it immediately began to play, and never once paused for buffering. Suddenly my eyes were bugging! I couldn't believe it! After over 20 years of available internet service in the US, I was finally able to achieve genuine broadband speed! Lucky me! I live directly adjacent to an Interstate highway, with cell phone towers every few miles, so my reception is great, but my fellow county citizens, who live off the beaten track, are probably lucky to get a signal at all. They do have the option of satellite, if they can get an unobstructed view of the southern sky. Something that isn't always readily available when you have a lot of tall trees around your property, as I have found.

Well........with the miserable 2010 elections a fait accompli, there is nothing left to do, other than to bury oneself in diversions until the ugly political nightmare is over. So I just slapped in a DVD of Tristan und Isolde, courtesy of a very lovely present from my equally lovely sister. I know there is a lot of criticism of Wagner, because of his horrible and inexcusable anti-semitic views, but as someone who has had to hide their trans nature for most of my life, I'm used to compartmentalizing things, so separating the despicable racist Wagner, from the musical genius Wagner has never been a problem for me. Fortunately his indefensible racism died with him, while his beautiful music lives on. His, Der Ring des Nibelungen is absolutely one of my favorite series of operas. His operas aren't quite the sweet lilting romantic creations of a Verdi, or a Puccini, but they do possess a certain grandeur and sense of drama that captivates one's senses. I would love to see a screen adaptation of the Ring series. It's such a great story! If done well, it could easily rival the very successful Lord of The Rings trilogy. I mean, how could a mere Hobbit, or Elf ever compete with one of Odin's Valkyrie?






Click on this picture if you need to, to enlarge it, and gaze into the eyes of this fearless determined mythological creature, and her loyal valiant horse. She is on a mission, and nothing is going to stop her!

You too can be like the Valkyrie! All you have to do is believe in yourself.

I believe in all of you!
Melissa XX



11 comments:

Elly said...

I especially like 'The Ride of the Valkyries". It was great music to listen to when stuccoing the ceiling in our bedroom. And yes, the elections were a disappointment; as of this morning it looks like my fellow Floridians have elected as governor someone who should be behind bars in a Federal prison.

Hugs ('cause we'll need it), Elly

- said...

Although I am of Jewish origins, I come from a long line of Wagner-philes. My parents travel the world to watch productions of The Ring and last summer they gifted my wife and I with tickets to the L.A. Opera production of Das Rheingold. It was amazing and I only wished I could have sat for the rest of the cycle. Someday, perhaps. And definitely without the wife...she'll sit for Mozart or Verdi, but she can't take too much Wagner.

I'm thrilled for you about your new computer. It makes all the difference sometimes.

xoxo

Caroline said...

The opera moment which is burnt into my brain is one of blue latex dressed Rheinmaidens in a performance by Scottish Opera about twenty years ago. Naturist versions are all the rage but where is the fun in that?

Glad you have joined us at warp speed, I always felt guilty even posting a picture knowing that it would take you ages to see.

Caroline xxx

Melissa said...

@ Elly

My sympathies on your Floridian election outcome. Unfortunately, we fared no better here in Virginia.

Of course I will give you a big hug! That's what we're all here for, isn't i?

Love ya, sweetie!
Melissa XOXO

Melissa said...

@ Caroline

Take us to warp speed, Mr. Sulu!

Indeed! So nice to finally be a full fledged participant in the 21st Century!

Love you, sweetie!
Melissa XOXO

Jenny said...

It's nice when a piece of technology delivers, isn't it.

As I believe Stace will attest from the Netherlands, people who elect idiots soon find they've got... well, idiots.

Melissa said...

@ Gin

You have no idea how happy I am to hear that you love the music of Wagner, in spite of your Jewish heritage. That's what music is all about! It isn't about the flawed personality of the composer, god only knows what rotten personalities many creative people have. No.....it's all about their creativity, and nothing more.

Melissa XOXO

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

@ Jenny

Oh, yes! And we seem to have a penchant for electing idiots here in the states! I wish I was Canadian! Veronica, do you have any room for a fellow expatriate? ;-)

Melissa XOXO

Stace said...

@Jenny: That I can! The od thing is that people don't seem to learn and repeat the same trick over and over!

As for the modem, isn't it great when something that you use actually does what it's supposed to do!

Stace

goitbari said...

Now, play Subway Surfers on pc using keyboard. You need not install Bluestacks or any other android emulators. Download the 18MB standalone .exe file here