Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Is Music Trending Back To An 80's Sound?

One of the good things about living over half way to Charlottesville, from Richmond, is that I am in range of the University Of Virginia's student radio station, WTJU, so I get to hear the latest sounds that the hippest college age kids are into. I've written about this station before, and how much it reminds me of of some of the wonderful free form radio in the NYC area, back in the late 60's.

One of the trends I have noticed lately is how much of their music is reminiscent of late 70's and early 80's Progressive and New Wave styles, yet it's all new stuff. I always loved those sounds. In fact that era is one of my favorites. It's so refreshing to hear this trend, because frankly I thought that music got pretty damn boring in the mid 90's, and through the first decade of the new millennium. It seems that melody, creativity, and dynamism have finally returned to modern music, and I'm very happy to hear it, although I still don't hear it much on mainstream radio, but then mainstream radio in America, has usually been lowest common denominator crap.

Melissa XX

2 comments:

Stace said...

I have noticed that there is an amoutn of music that is very 80's at the moment. The videos are as well - I actually thought that I had VH1 Classic on instead of VH1 a couple of weekends ago with one clip. Shame I can't remember what it was called, I actually quite liked it :)

Stace

VĂ©ro B said...

I think a lot of new bands have been drawing on the New Wave sound for a while. Since that was one of my several youths (spent much time at my favourite dance club), I think it's fine. :)

Not a lot new under the sun!